Saturday, June 19, 2010

How to apply fondant to a cake without cracks...

I live 5280 feet above sea level, very high altitude so I understand this problem. I make sure that my fondant isn't dry at all when I knead it before putting it on the cake. Mix in shortening and don't use too much powdered sugar when rolling it out. Cover the cake as quickly as possible and make sure your fondant isn't too thick or the weight of it will cause cracks. I put the fondant on right after my crumb coat because I find that the bc helps the fondant stick. Then chill the cake right after you apply the fondant. This will set the fondant in place so it doesn't move causing it to crack. Chill until time of delivery and you should be fine. Also, make sure your cake is sturdy enough to support the weight of the fondant. You can add an extra 1/4 C of flour to your cake mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment